Blog Journal #2

 Hello again! Today I will be talking to you about my experience as a digital native and some ISTE standards for educators. As a member of Gen-Z, I can confidently say that my experiences fall under the "digital native" umbrella. Modern technology has been a part of my academic journey for the majority of my time as a student. For example, I began using Microsoft Word to type my essays and other homework assignments as early as 3rd grade. As teachers began incorporating more and more technology into my coursework, I grew more comfortable with using Microsoft Word for the majority of my school assignments. In 9th grade, I even had to complete a certification course for the program as a class requirement, so I feel overall pretty confident with Word. However, since coming to university, I have started using Google Docs much more than Word, mostly for convenience (and the free price tag). I would say that Google Docs is my preferred writing program at the moment, especially for my needs as a college student who is often on the go. 

 You may have noticed that I just used the term "digital native" to describe myself, and you may be wondering what it means. In simple terms, a digital native is someone who was raised with modern technology and access to the internet throughout their lifespan, especially their early development. Those who were not born with such technologies, on the other hand, are often referred to as "digital immigrants". I first began working/playing with computers at a very young age--around 6-7 years old--so I have grown quite familiar with digital interfaces over the years. While I do believe there should be a term to describe those who were born with access to digital devices (and "digital native" does just that), it's also important to remember that large groups of people (especially generations) are almost never homogeneous. Being born at a certain time will not necessarily dictate that person's technological capabilities; there are many more variables to keep in mind as well. With that being said, on average, younger people do tend to be more technology-savvy than their older counterparts. As a future educator, I'm sure there will be slang and digital spaces that my students will be well versed on but I won't be, and that's okay!

With that being said, how can you best utilize your technological background as a future educator? If you're looking for a baseline for technology with some real-life applications, look no further than the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE): a nonprofit organization that seeks innovative methods of incorporating technology in educational settings. The ISTE provides a roadmap for both educators and students. It establishes seven distinct labels that act as the standard for all instructors to aspire to. These seven labels are learner, leader, citizen, collaborator, designer, facilitator, and analyst. How cool, right? When I first read up on these, the standard that stood out to me the most was the first one, the learner. There is an agreed-upon notion in the educational community that all instructors are lifelong learners as well, and that is exactly what this label is all about. Establishing strong personal learning networks (PLNs) and keeping up with current research are both excellent ways to reach this goal. The field is changing all the time, and as working instructors, it's important for us to constantly refresh our knowledge so we can provide the best possible service to all our students. At the end of the day, it all starts with an open mind, which is something we can all work on and improve on! I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this, my avid readers. Until next time!


"Gen Z" by Abhijit Bhaduri is licensed under CC BY 2.0 Deed

 

Comments

  1. Hi Virgina!
    I agree that because of how we grew up around technology we would be digital natives. I also agree that age is not the only factor in determining whether someone is a digital native or not, many older people can be just as tech savy as younger people. The Learner educator standard is the one that stood out to me the most too, I think it is so important to continue to your learning journey, even in a career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Virginia!
    Fascinating insights! As a fellow digital native, I resonate with your journey. Embracing ISTE standards, especially "learner," is crucial for educators.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts